UL listing of lightning arrestors [RE-wrenches]

Aaron Wellendorf aaron at dcpower-systems.com
Wed Apr 12 15:45:20 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeE3vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Kirk,

There are UL listed lightning arrestors for AC systems. I don't know of UL
listed models for DC.

Delta has told me that the only difference between their AC and DC varieties
is the color of the wires.

Square D makes a hard-wired secondary surge arrestor, model #SDSA1175, which
mounts similarly to the Delta brand in a 1/2" knockout, and it costs about
the same as the Delta LA302R.

The SDSA1175 specs out of the Sq D catalog page 5-4 are:
- suitable for use in service entrance locations
- meets requirements of NEC Article 280
- cULus listed and CSA Certified secondary surge arrestors
- meets ANSI/IEEE C62.11-1993
- suitable for indoor and outdoor applications
- LED indicates operational status

Sq D also makes UL listed "surgebreakers" (pop into a 2-pole breaker space),
and also transient voltage surge suppressors, some with noise filters.

I have used a different brand of AC surge arrestor with noise filtering to
quiet the AC line into a grid-tied Trace SW4048 back in 1999. It didn't
completely filter out all noise, but it did make my customer's favorite
680AM radio station listenable vs. a totally static roar. I put them on all
my systems after that, SW or not.

Aaron Wellendorf
DC Power Systems (PV distributor)
NABCEP certified installer