Outback parallel with inverter generator [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Mar 9 19:05:01 PST 2006

Unlimited International Calls to Certain Counties with
Packet8. Our International VoIP Plans offer subscribers a
easier way to save on overseas calls. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexd4bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

The WindyBoy is connected to the AC output of the OutBack inverters -
not to the AC input.

The WindyBoy thinks the OutBack inverters are the utility grid and
"sells" power to any AC loads happening to be on.  Any excess power is
converted to DC by the OutBack inverters automatically.  A DC load dump
system needs to be used as the battery will overcharge if excess power
is available from the wind turbine.  This can be done with the AUX
output and a relay (solid state is preferred) or a C40 controller in
diversion mode also can work.

If you plan on charging with a generator - there is software for the
windyboy inverter which will widen the setpoints up to work better.
This is probably not necessary if you are charging with an
inverter/generator.

There are about 20 of these "microgrid" systems out there with various
grid-tie inverters and OutBacks with good results so far.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Darryl Thayer wrote:

> Thanks Kent
> I take it the AC2 of the Outback provides the sync
> signal to the windyboy.  But when the outback needs to
> charge the battery it needs to be connect to AC1
> correct?  I seem to be missing something?
>
> Is one outback connected AC2 and the other connected
> AC1?
>
> Thanks but the inverter generator does not follow the
> sync signal of the outback (I don't think)?.
>
> Thanks your project is very interesting.
> Darryl
>
> --- Kent Osterberg <kent at coveoregon.com> wrote:
>
> > Darryl
> >
> > I've got a off-grid customer with a Windyboy that we
> > recently set up in
> > parallel with and Outback tri-stack.   Didn't do
> > this without
> > information from Outback that it work.  The Windyboy
> > is connected to the
> > ac output bus and the FX inverters charge the
> > batteries, negative output
> > current form the FX's, to provide ac voltage
> > regulation.  The Mate shows
> > zero kW in and zero kW out, but the Trimetric shows
> > positive battery
> > current.  The FX's normal battery charging controls
> > and settings do not
> > work, it'll charge the batteries until there is a
> > high voltage
> > disconnect.  You'll want to use the aux output to
> > shut down the parallel
> > source before that happens.
> >
> > Kent Osterberg
> > Blue Mountain Energy, LLC

Sign Up for Packet8 and tell your phone company
to VoIP-Off. First Month Free! Then up to 50% off your
phone bill.  Free Equipment! Packet8 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdRbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com