GC-1000 and EarthSafe Systems [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Mar 8 18:22:56 PST 2006

Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexd2bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Hi Peter,

I am wondering if the GC-1000's you encountered have the big Siemens
earthsafe stickers on the front of them?  Back when those systems were
popular in L.A. it was less expensive for contractors to purchase the
individual items as opposed to buying an "earthsafe kit" from Siemens, and
then Shell Solar.  I believe the majority of systems sold as earthsafe kits
are not in reality the real deal.  All of my earthsafe installs were
purchased directly from either Siemens or Shell, because that was the only
way to provide my customers with the ten year extended inverter warranty.

If I remember correctly, Shell has a list of inverter serial numbers that
match GC-1000's that were bundled into kits.  I've had no problems getting
an occasional replacement inverter from Shell.  During the initial
installation, the DC fuses needed to be pulled, and I pinched the fuse clips
tighter before reinsertion.  I think those few extra seconds has saved me
considerable grief.

I feel bad about the stranded inoperable systems in L.A., but I have learned
not to touch them until the five year system warranty expires.  Seems like
some people are willing to pay for a site visit and written report, which is
later produced in court, when they go after the original installer.  I
prefer to spend my time in the field as opposed to being a witness or expert
in court.  That said, I commend you for helping to re-active some of these
systems.  I'm sure the majority of owners are happy to pay for a quick
service call, and quick fix, but it's the expensive repairs that get the
customers fired up, and I steer clear.  I look forward to the system
warranties expiring and finally being able to charge reasonable rates for
repairs without the potential litigation hassles.  Personally I think
mandatory five year warranties are too long, three would be better.  But, it
seems the politicians want ten years.which makes sense for new construction
BIPV.

Cheers,
Graham

First Month Free! Save up to 50% on your phone bill.
Free Activation, Free Equipment! Packet8
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdQbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com