3 Sharp 200W in series to MX60 [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Feb 8 13:23:26 PST 2006

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaerMmbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Dealix

David Palumbo wrote:

> 135.75 Voc Temp Corrected.  What do you think?
> The OutBack MX60 Manual now states that PV open circuit v
> maxes out at 150v. Operation is suspended at 135vdc.

The current MX60s actually suspend operation at 143 vdc and are fully
ETL / UL listed to withstand 150 vdc worse case with sufficient design
  margin to be reliable.  We do have reports of cold locations were
MX60s exceed the 150 vdc limit frequently without problems - but we do
not recommend it and is not code compliant.

The actual PV cell material heats up as soon as any significant sunlight
hits the PV module - so in the real world we have seen lower  open
circuit voltages then the datasheets suggest.  I have also heard that
the Maui Solar software will also predict lower maximum open circuit
voltage than the NEC code method - not sure of why however.

These Sharp 200 watt modules are actually a very nice match with the
MX60 and 48 vdc applications even in very cold locations. I say go for
it!

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6Fbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com