Design Challenge (Was Sunny Island Experience?) [RE-wrenches]

David Katz david at aeesolar.com
Sun Feb 5 11:14:41 PST 2006

Packet8 Digital Phones Service can save you up to
$999 annually on your phone bill! First Month Free!
Free Activation! Save $110 instantly. Wow. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6lbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Jeff,
I use 30 amp relays from Grainger.  They are reliable and not too
expensive.  since you have to go such a long distance, AC makes sense
for the relay coils, but the Outback inverter aux relay is actually a 12
volt output, so you would have to put smaller relays at the inverter end
to switch the AC for the coils.
David

David Katz
President, AEE Solar
formerly Alternative Energy Engineering
1155 Redway Drive - Box 339
Redway, CA 95560 USA
Phone (707) 825-1200
Fax (707) 825-1202
email: david at aeesolar.com
web: www.aeesolar.com

Jeff Clearwater wrote:

> Hey Jay,
>
> Yes, I've been following this configuration for a while now (Dave K.,
> Sam V.and many others), just wanted to make sure you were not talking
> some specific limitation of the VFX as opposed to a GTFX when in
> off-grid mode.
>
> And yes one must use the software modified SB - usually modified for
> the Sunny Island - with the higher voltage and frequency parameters.
>
> And with more than one SB feeding into a FX stack, one could
> accomplish the rough equivalent of staged charging by having different
> VFX relays control each SB shutoff at slightly higher voltages as a
> charge limit set parameter.  Anyone see any problems with this?
> Anyone try it and have pointers?
>
> What relays are you using?  With SB2500s you are just switching 12
> amps at 240VAC - but I would want higher reliability than many of the
> DIN Rail mounted relays out there.  Suggestions?  I'll have about 750'
> between my SBs and FXs - so I'll probably go with 120 or 240 volt
> relay coils.  What did you use?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Jeff C.
>

>> -

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaerMmbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com