Design Challenge (Was Sunny Island Experience?) [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 10:35:28 PST 2006

<x-flowed>
Hey Jay,

Yes, I've been following this configuration for a while now (Dave K.,
Sam V.and many others), just wanted to make sure you were not talking
some specific limitation of the VFX as opposed to a GTFX when in
off-grid mode.

And yes one must use the software modified SB - usually modified for
the Sunny Island - with the higher voltage and frequency parameters.

And with more than one SB feeding into a FX stack, one could
accomplish the rough equivalent of staged charging by having
different VFX relays control each SB shutoff at slightly higher
voltages as a charge limit set parameter.  Anyone see any problems
with this?  Anyone try it and have pointers?

What relays are you using?  With SB2500s you are just switching 12
amps at 240VAC - but I would want higher reliability than many of the
DIN Rail mounted relays out there.  Suggestions?  I'll have about
750' between my SBs and FXs - so I'll probably go with 120 or 240
volt relay coils.  What did you use?

Thanks again!

Jeff C.

gosolar at villagepower.com