PV on slate? [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Sat Feb 4 15:22:28 PST 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaerelbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Nik,

Having started my after-college career with an 18 month stint as a
roofing estimator and crew manager, I can tell you that there are ways
to install on slate. I can also tell you that slate roofs, to stay good,
need continuous repair. Every 2 to 3 years you need to renail loose
slates, replace ones that have dropped out, etc. so while you can
successfully install on slate, that's not the issue. The issue is that
the homeowner cannot maintain the portion of the roof under the array,
and it will degrade and leak.

We have installed several array for folks with slate, after they have
removed a portion of the slate and replaced with either shingles or
metal. We have not used it, but the fake slate product made from
recycled rubber would also be a fine alternative. It has a 50 year life,
and does not require significant maintenance.

Jeff
Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, Inc., Solar Energy Solutions