roof details [RE-wrenches]

Peter Duchon info at asappower.com
Fri Feb 3 19:05:10 PST 2006

Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6Fbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

William,
I'd love to see your wrap on how to handle jb's on tile roofs and conduiting
of multiple DC strings over slab or s-tile, IF there's a different or best
way to approach each.  I'd also like to know more about what adhesives are
being used out there, IF used, or recommended practice for rooftop jb's with
conduiting on flat cement slab tile type rooftops, where I would think it
possible for a good strong adhesion that can survive blazing surface heat.
Even with someone tripping over or just a stressed conduit entry into a hot
rooftop jb, is there an adhesive out there that works for 25 years in
advanced life tests and will keep the jb in place, cold and hot, cold and
hot for years?

For myself, I would rather go over roof/through eaves/down ext. walls, than
through attics/through interior walls, etal, at least on residential work,
unless there's pre-conduited entries/exits in the home's construction ready
for me.   But I don't like drilling tile if I don't have to anyway.   I like
the idea of lifting or removing a tile, and inserting a lagged-into-truss
z-bracket of some sort that a junction box to collect DC strings can bolt
onto.  Is there such an item out there, perhaps for different tile profiles,
etc??  Seems like I've seen something at a roofing contractor's store
recently.  Thinks it was for satellite dish.

You know the tile industry is rather well controlled by a handful of
companies for most builders here in California.   And every new roof is a
tile roof with few exceptions, so it's bigger business than it's ever been.
Perhaps only two (?) major developers that are active out here, do we have
small "communities" of new construction "ready for solar PV option" and with
tile roofs.   At least, that's the story in fire-weary Southern Cal.   Solar
PV hardware/racking solutions for tile roofs are far from being perfected in
my opinion and I simply don't feel the same level of confidence in many
aspects of installation on tile rooftops.   Maybe it's that sound of
poorly-made slab tile cracking about 6 ft south of my ears.  Almost like a
laugh, like it's breaking joyously and was its destiny.  More likely though,
it's just that I'm not confident in the mounting solutions out there,
particularly for a decently solid (i.e., expensive option) slab tile roof
that a new homeowner has just paid for in the mortgage and does NOT want to
remove and won't be sold otherwise.

And am i concerned about earthquakes with these floating-over-tile arrays?
Well, yes.  I could imagine the carriage bolts of say, tile track solution
for instance, could shear at the tile, without moving the tile, with a heavy
enough array, and a strong enough directional jolt (the wave, away from
epi-center but close enough), and come sliding off en masse modularity.  I
suppose time will tell if that's valid or not, unless there are some tests
that have been conducted that I'm not aware of.  Probably are.  Sandia's got
a huge earthquake testing facility.

I would also hold a candle up for Atlantis or even UniSolar roofing shingle
products and similar, but for some reason I can't think of a reason to yet.
If I'm going to make a living with modular equipment, might as well do it
with larger modules or larger modular units period, like groups of modules
at a time with a hoist and appropriate mounting solutions, not smaller
modules in the form of roofing products.  Besides, they're more expensive
and more labor and I don't think this outweighs the cost savings of being a
roofing product nor the loss of service-ability factor, but I could be
wrong.

Doesn't matter, many of us won't have any silicon modules to install anyway,
despite the Governator and Bush's best efforts, unless...

Thanks,
Peter