Inverter/Battery Question (Round 3 well pumping & storage tanks) [RE-wrench

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Mon Jan 23 17:45:44 PST 2006

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaemrqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Dealix

Windy Dankoff wrote:

> I haven't personally heard of these problems forming in a well water
> tank but I know Ray W has had some bad experiences -- Ray?
>
> A good minimum preventive measure is to drop a small amount of bleach
> into the tank periodically, at least during warm weather or before a
> period of low usage.

Hi Windy:

We've had a majority of cisterns (including well fed) test positive for
choliform bacteria. No kids dieing from dysentery, but it will scare a
buyer out of a deal in a heart beat. After a couple of these tests came
back positive, we quit recommending cisterns when possible.
A quick note on the Grundfos SQ also. They're not really that more
efficient than regular pumps, you're just avoiding the surge.  I've got
a wonderful set of systems to compare: all at approximately 350 ft to
water, I've got SQs, an old Sunrise hanging there, a Solamotor Jack
pump, and a few conventional AC pumps with transformers. The
conventional AC pump are as good as anything in. The biggest advantage
is you are not taking responsibility for the well pump. You don't have
to spend a bunch of time educating half the local work force on the
virtues of the "solar" pump (and then have it funk out onyou 6 months later)
If your power system is robust enough to handle the pump surge, they
won't have any trouble with other loads either. My experience is that
after 5 minutes, An SQ pump will drag down the voltage of a half charged
set of batteries just like a conventional pump will.
In Allan's case, I think that single string of batteries won't keep the
voltage up whether its an SQ or not.
I'd add a second string, or my crazy idea since its temporary: add one
more battery to the string for a 54 v nom. system to keep the voltage
higher. I beleive the Outback's input voltage is wide enough to handle
that just fine.
Cost = 1 battery.

Ray

Jumpstart your love life at AmericanSinglesR.com.
Meet someone in your area today. Millions of member profiles.
Create a profile, post photos and search for free.
http://click.topica.com/caaemrrbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Spark Network

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com