5000W/ 48V water heater dump load element [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Tue Dec 26 15:29:13 PST 2006

Hi Dan,

So you are saying 200 kWh's a month is being lost to regulation?  That
sounds a little low for a Bergey 10 in a "good" wind site.  I'm assume there
are periods (12hr -72hrs?) much windier then others and it's during these
windier periods where most of the regulation happens.

IMHO, I think you really need storage of some sort. Not knowing much about
the exact application I think it could be a control challenge to time the
"dump" elements in the boiler to call for heat only when the turbine is
regulating and still properly charge the batteries.  I don't think you would
get much of the energy lost to regulation back.  What's the heat load of
this place?

In round numbers, 10 kWh's will raise 100 gallons of water 50f.  Yes, you
can easily control a 240v water heater with the properly size contactor.  I
wouldn't even consider doing it on the DC side.

A site built atmospheric tank is easy enough to build but is pretty hard to
do for less then several thousand by the time you get the heat exchangers in
it.  I've built a 1250 gallon atmospheric tank for my Tarm Boiler plus
several other tanks for large solar thermal systems and I can assure you
they are really labor intensive to do right.

If the budget wasn't such a concern the Tarm boiler with atmospheric tank is
clearly the best way go.  I love mine.  It supplies the all the heat for our
radiant system for our 2500ft2 home and 2000ft2 shop plus all of our hot
water.  I build one fire every three days which takes 3-4 armloads of cord
wood.  I also have a Bergey 10 and it will dump excess into the tank once I
get it up.  I also will tie my solar thermal system into it once I get it
going.  Both projects are slated for this year but there never seems to be
enough time.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services