Outback with Sunnyboy [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Wed Dec 6 04:34:20 PST 2006

I seem to be missing something.   You are using the SunnyBoys in typical gridtie like a solar charge controller (without batteries) and putting all output to grid?  You have Outbacks with batteries also installed to charge battery bank and provide emergency backup power?   During a power outage you have a power relay controlled from Outback system to dis-connect SunnyBoys from grid connection?   The SunnyBoys "see" battery charging load and continue to provide AC to Outbacks?

1.  I thought the whole purpose of the UL and IEEE listing for Gridtie inverters was to stop their output to the grid if they could not "couple" to the grid AC sinewave during an outage.

2.  If you use a relay controlled from Outback Inverter to "dis-connect" the SunnyBoys from grid so they continue to supply AC output back to Outback inverters to charge batteries and supply load, why dosn't the SunnyBoy shut down output as soon as it no longer can "see" the dis-connected grid?

I understand the wiring, but not how you get around islanding issues or automatic shutdown if grid is lost.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -