vertical axis wind (and solar) turbine [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon Dec 4 22:00:37 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

Oh boy. Guys, you will notice that neither of these architectural
statements have a published power curve. First warning sign. The Blue
Thingy is a twisted Savonius; not an efficient wind turbine at best and
basically worthless in low winds, but the idea of covering it with PV
seems so - so - words fail me. Lame maybe? Their product comparison
chart is full of inaccuracies and/or bad information as well, so I would
give this beauty the coveted Blatantly Seeking Investors award.

The Quiet Revolution machine, though (obviously) claiming to be quiet,
publishes no actual dB measurements of the turbine. It is most likely
extremely expensive, and the individual parts would also appear to be
big and/or long enough to cost a fortune to ship to this side of the US
(West). To the best of my knowledge, you just can't beat a good HAWT for
efficiency, cost effectiveness and net energy production (even if they
aren't so sexy).

Matt T

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php