Secure modules [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Wed Nov 22 08:45:36 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

Kurt:

It's impossible for me to guess accurately, but if I had to, I'd say we've
installed about 2,000 modules on various Direct Power Racks using the
manufacturer supplied hardware.  As long as my guys are meticulous about
tightening bolts, they never loosen.  (There were two modules on a
Zomeworks rack where we found the loose hardware at the base of the pole...
and the two modules across the neighbors driveway).

Our rules are:

1. One person tightens all of the module and rack bolts.

2. He/she never stops in the middle of tightening.

3. He/she adopts a pattern and does not deviate from that pattern.

4. He/she can not utter a word during the process nor can anyone speak to
him/her.

We use a cordless electric impact driver and the operator wears ear-muffs.

Once we adopted these policies, zero failures.

William Miller

At 07:12 AM 11/22/2006, you wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I do mostly remote, off-grid systems usually top of pole mounted.  I'm
>interested in getting more secure with my mounting method of using the
>1/4 inch hex head stainless steel nuts/bolts Direct Power and Water
>sends out with their racks.
>
>I went to Fastenal and they do have 1/4 inch button head bolts with a
>smooth round head and a 'hex' hole recessed in it that takes a special
>bit for a drill/driver.  I imagine using nylocks to make it all but
>impossible to get the bolts loose without the special bit (or perhaps
>blue threadlock?).
>
>I can order these bolts and SS nylocks from Fastenal for about 67 bucks
>a hundred count, but decided to 'tap' the big info resource first.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts on the subject -- Kurt

>Kurt Nelson
>PO Box 309
>Cornucopia, WI 54827
>715-742-3406