Just how good are those used, sealed lead-acid batteries? [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Sat Oct 21 06:29:46 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Bob,

Jeff's advice is good, but I may have a way to simplify (!)

IF the batteries were all used in a pack, they have identical
histories and should all be nearly equal in characteristics. If they
are not, then that is a sure sign that the weaker ones are ready to
drop out and they should not be trusted.

Therefore, I would charge and test them in series strings (no
parallel). During periods when current is high (charge or discharge),
measure voltage. If there are more than very slight discrepencies
(after a full fiinish charge) you have some weak ones and I wouldn't
trust the whole batch.

If you find enough inequalities to conclude that they aren't very
good but you wish to use them anyway -- say for a temporary setup or
a poverty-case customer, do not, repeat DO NOT parallel any strings.
If any cells short in one set, it will cause the other cells in that
string to overcharge continuously. I had this exact circumstance once
and it blew out very foul, presumably toxic vapors from the cell
vents. The customer's wife was so upset that I lost the customer. I
thought I was doing them a favor by practically giving them a
temporary battery to get them started.

And certainly have the batteries in a safely-vented environment.

Windy

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com