Backfeeding a 200 amp panel with an Outback 3648 [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Oct 18 07:24:20 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

While AC in (buy) and AC out (sell) are physically the same wire, there
might be the possibility of getting Outback to have separate settings
for buy current and sell current. That way when the grid was up the pass
through current could be 60 amps and yet the sell current could be set
lower, but since they both go through a 60 amp breaker this is probably
moot.

Another point I don't understand is the largest Outback inverter is a
3600 watt (GVFX3648). This inverter is only be capable of continuously
selling 30 amps back to the bus, so it is de-facto limited by the
capacity of the inverter. Yes, it can surge higher, but for a very short
time, way too short for the buss bar to heat up.

Buy and Sell still both go through one 60 amp breaker which is actually
the issue, but IMO it is curious we are dealing with a perceived only
possible problem of overcurrenting the load center's buss bar. The 60
amp current flow is in BUY mode only. The inverter is simply incapable
of a sustained SELL current that would overload the buss. I would love
to see someone try to damage a load center buss with a 30 amp inverter
backfeeding. I would bet big money this is impossible.

(I know, this is all about "the rules"... not reality... sigh.)

Todd

Allan Sindelar wrote:

> [...]

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com