Backfeeding a 200 amp panel with an Outback 3048 [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Oct 18 06:06:36 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Walters" <walters at taosnet.com>

> Here's some crazy ideas:
> Could Outback separate Grid AC IN (for loads and battery charging at
> 60amps) and then have an AC OUT to Grid  that could be sized much
> smaller just to accomodate the max. array size and therefore get around
> 120% bus limit?
> 1) Is this possible,
> 2) are there any other grid tie/ battery backup inverters with this
> ability (two AC outs),
> or 3) once again am I just dreaming?

The "turd in the punchbowl" of that idea is that AC OUT is for backup loads,
not grid. The AC IN is the bidirectional feed with the grid. AC OUT has no
UL 1741 anti-islanding protection. I think it would also be akin to plugging
the inverter into itself. So 1) no, 2) I don't think so, and 3) yep.

> Crazy Idea 2: could we do this with 2 inverters? For instance, one
> inverter only setup for sell back, and the other only set for backup
> loads. (Clunky? yes.)

Probably, but before I went that way, I'd go with the alternative, a second
service approach. What we are learning is that this is less formidable than
it seems on the surface. Use a tap to a 60A fused disconnect, then have at
it.

> Crazy Idea 3: on the 20% rule:  that's at  240 vac, so if you used  a 40
> amp double pole breaker you would still be within 120% on a 200 A
> service, then you could use a transformer to step down to a single
> inverter for its full pass through capability. (might actually fly)

I have wondered about this too.

> Feel free to shoot my theories full of holes,

OK.
Allan

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com