Ginormous battery rack [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, DragonSun Consulting ezra at lasqueti.net
Mon Oct 2 10:37:15 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi all,

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I do mean apply the
Capacity divided by five (C/5) charge rate. Which  in these batteries
(2KS33PS) equals 445 amps. The term "capacity" may cause confusion in
this dicsussion. Here's why: we normally talk about battery capacity
at the 72 hour rate (2225 amp hours for this model). This is
appropriate for the usual rate of residential discharge and we are
usually looking at storage capacity. However when looking at
recharging the same battery the appropriate rate to refer to is the
20 hour rate. This is because the batteries will be charging faster
than they were discharged hence more heat will be generated which in
this case will actually hasten the charging process. The good news,
is that the 20 hour rating for these batteries is 1766 amp hours
hence we "only" need an initial charge rate of 353 amps.

That's the problem with ginormous batteries, it takes a lot of
current to properly recharge them. Most battery manufacturers who
I've spoken to would like to see the C/5 rate and are thankful if the
C/10 is a reality. Again for these batteries even the C/10 rate would
be a charging system capable of 176 amps at 48 Vdc. Not an un-
achievable charging system with an 8.5 kW array or a couple of large
wind gennies, a few inverter/chargers or a combination of all. Much
less than this much charging "umph" will eventually result in
shortened battery life.

Hope this clarifies.

Ezra

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com