SW Absorption Timers Awry [RE-wrenches]

Mike Kocsmiersky mikek at KosmoSolar.com
Wed Sep 27 03:55:47 PDT 2006

Robert,
Back in '99 I had a similar problem with SW inverters. At the time I was
told by Trace that the absorption timer actually starts about .2V per 12V
system before the actual set point.  Thus when I was testing my 48V system
and setting the absorption voltage level for 57.6V and a duration of 10 min
(just a test), it appeared as though there was never any bulk charging.
When the battery bank reached 57.2V the timer started, and stopped before
ever reaching 57.6V and then dropped to float voltage.  My recommendation is
to set the bulk timer to 4 hrs not 2.  The problem will be more significant
for larger battery banks and or slower charge rates, whereas there will be a
longer duration between 57.2V and 57.6V.

Mike Kocsmiersky
President
Kosmo Solar
(413) 734-1456
-----Original Message-----
From: Travis Creswell [mailto:tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:54 PM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: RE: SW Absorption Timers Awry [RE-wrenches]

Hello Robert,

I must have missed your post from May 3rd.  Your problem is a well known
"factory feature" of the SW series when doing dual inverter set ups.  I've
got a bunch of them out there and they all do that.

But I'm not seeing why you are concerned with a work around?  Sorry, I don't
have time to look at all the old post right now.  To me this is only a
problem if the inverter that remains in bulk can't hold the batteries at
bulk by itself.

With industrial flooded batteries it's very important to regularly use a
hrydometer.  The Tri-Metric is a great meter and we use them in every system
but they really need to be programmed correctly.  There are some fine tuning
points that are carefully detailed in the comprehensive documentation
included with the Tri-metric.

And get rid of the C-40's if at all possible and switch to MX-60's. You'll
gain much better control of the charging with the array of "various
modules".

If these are flooded industrial batteries you need to take them 60+ volts
every time the generator runs. Personally, I'd have no problem taking them
to almost 62 volts regularly.  As long as the cell temps stay under 115f you
should hit them with everything you can.  IMHO, proper charging of off grid
battery banks has much more to do with lots of amps (c/5 or better) at high
enough volts then amp hours.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services