battery box venting flow rate? [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Wed Sep 20 07:45:12 PDT 2006

I typically never rely on passive ventilation especially for a battery
container, because as John Wiles was stating you could get exterior
forces pressuring the air back into the container.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is very true.  We now only do systems with battery rooms designed with fire-rated construction and special exterior venting.  However, in our early years we had a site built battery box that was fairly tight construction located in a basement.  It had a 2" outside vent located at the top of the battery box and a 1" pvc bottom drain at the bottom side in case you had some spills during a "wash down" of the batteries inside the box.  The house was small and every time the wind blew, we had MAJOR air flow out of this battery box bottom drain pipe into the basememt, almost like it had a blower behind it!

We finally had to put a "P" trap in this PVC drain pipe to stop interior battery box air being drawn back into the house.  We also found much higher rates of heavy battery terminal corrosion on batteries located inside confined battery boxes, so all are projects now have larger battery rooms.  The batteries stay clean enough to eat of off.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -