solar average cost [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 06:05:12 PDT 2006

Hi Bill

My answer is a strange as the question
I forget how a kw of hot water is defined, please
advise, but the installed cost of hot water is not
well linked to collector cost.

For a two panel, 4x8 or 4x10 foot system on the low
side $4500 on the high side $6500.  I have always
dreamed of a 1 day install, but two to three days is
more like it.  after many hundreds of installs a one
day install for a crew of two are maybe 20.  For a
formula that seperates collector cost from BOS perhaps
BOS+ collector (2k$+10$/SF)+ 25$/sf

Because module cost can be such a big portion of a PV
install I tend to think of PV as $/watt.  and this is
8 to 12 $/W.  There are outlyers of course not on
short side but the high side.  Of course there is a
formula of Bos + PV  and maybe that is (3k$+1$/W)+6$/W

Just as a starting point, but I am very small dealer
now days, and my base is rather old.  ( in the earily
eighties when I had 12 people and I could get product
at a much lower price, 2 4x8 DHW was 2500 installed)

Have a nice day, and don't call me an idiot for the
above, I make many more mistakes.

Darryl

--- bill roush <billroush at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't think of a better group to ask the following
> questions. We
> are trying to let our clients (mostly utilities and
> states) know
> budgetary costs for these. I know there is no
> average installation,
> but hey, I have to put a number in the cell. It
> might as well be as
> good as we can make it. I have a situation where I
> have to put a
> number in a cell (spreadsheet) for;
>
> cost of an 'average' SDHW system - residential
> (listed as 1 kW equal)
>
> high(er?) cost per kW of a 4kW residential PV system
> (I get to use a
> range in res. and comm. PV)
> low(er?) cost per kW of an 18 kW residential PV
>
> high(er?) cost per kW of a 20 kW commercial PV
> low(er?) cost per kW of a 50 kW commercial system
>
> I am not going to tie any company or any person to
> any numbers, but I
> would REALLY appreciate your real world feedback.
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Best,
> Bill Roush, Black & Veatch Renewables