Off-grid pumps [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Sun Jul 30 12:23:16 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hey Matt and Kelly,

The Lorentz pump can be hung on polyethylene (black) pipe, like the
Shurflo.

I speak from experience. My own home well has had a Lorentz (then
called Etapump) since 2001. LIke Kelly's proposed system, mine runs
on 24V battery. It's set at 165', on 3/4" PE pipe. I pulled it just
one time, to upgrade the pump-head when a more optimum size became
available. It took 2 guys to pull it by hand with my wife dragging
the pipe and cable to avoid kinking.

Mine pumps at 3 GPM, so 3/4" pipe is plenty. These pumps start gently
and take 10 seconds to reach full speed, so there's no torquing of
the pipe. The manual has a section on hand installation using PE pipe.

About the complaints you mention, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll
discuss it with Conergy support tomorrow.

Windy

> From: Matt Tritt <solarone at charter.net>
>
> Kelly,
>
> Not to create the feeling that I have anything against the Lorentz
> pump
> (OK, maybe I do, since I've received yet another complaint call from a
> rancher about the second Lorentz pump and third Lorentz controller
> installed at one of his wells to have failed), BUT, since cost
> seems to
> be a big issue with your proposed system, why not use a Surflo?
> Yes, the
> diaphragm will need to be replaced in a few years, and yes, they do
> seem
> pretty cheesy - what with the plastic case and all, but I have
> never had
> an early failure problem with these things in all the years I've been
> installing solar pumps.
>
> Limiting the output wouldn't be a problem either, since they will only
> produce about 1 GPM at that lift! :-)
>
> As if that isn't enough, they are inexpensive, can be installed
> without
> a pump rig, weigh very little and always work right out of the box.
> You
> can also run them from a 24 volt battery if needed. I would use one 24
> volt Sharp 180 for max performance in Winter.
>
> Whatever.
>
> Matt T

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com