SunFrost Voltage Upgrade question [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael.welch at homepower.com
Thu Jul 20 15:18:55 PDT 2006

Get up to 4 No-risk mortgage quotes – No SSN needed
Competitive rates from the nation’s top lenders in minutes
Lower your mortgage payments by up to $303/month!
http://click.topica.com/caaeYi1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ BestLenderFinder

Hi Allan.

You mentioned a center tap. A long time ago, I helped set up a system for a local nonprofit that had 24 V batteries and 12 V loads. We used a Vanner Equalizer to tap 12 V off the bank. What it does is monitor the tapped 12 V side, and when it sees lower voltage on that side, transfers energy from the untapped side.

I have not heard of these units in a long time, so checked and the web site and they are still there, www.vanner.com

I suppose a DC-DC converter might be a more efficient, but the 20 A Equalizer advertises >92%, which is not horrible.

Allan Sindelar wrote at 03:03 PM 07/20/2006:

>Here is followup on the Danfoss compressors. I spoke with Larry at Sun
>Frost. Units built within the last 3 or 4 years have the switchable voltage,
>12/24. Units built before this time are fixed voltage. Switching both
>compressor and power module would be required and would be very expensive.
>So Larry recommends a DC converter. He further says worst case on a
>two-compressor RF16 would be one compressor starting (15A) and one running
>(5A), thus requiring a converter of 20A capacity.
>
>So we are back to my original question (with appreciation for the good new
>info so far): whose DC converter have you used with good success?
>
>Thanks again,
>Allan @+E

------------------------

Michael Welch