MOV lightning protection [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Sun Jul 9 19:42:19 PDT 2006

Conrad,

I have been using SOV's (Delta LA's) for the last 12 yrs or so. Used a few
MOV's prior to that - but had one catch on fire ,which scared the homeowner,
(did not burn anything else, thankfully) and put me off those.

I can't say what the Delta's actually do. I ground the sh__ out of the
system, put those LA's on and don't have many problems at all. The lightning
problems I have seen have mostly come on systems that I did not install.
They all had mediocre to poor grounds.

Our local Lightning expert is good (UL Certified, I have learned a lot about
grounding from him) and he thinks the Delta LA's are a joke. He cut one open
to show me that they are simply sand in a can with the wires. Yes we know
the theory behind it, but we aren't necessarily buying that it can actually
do it. Mr. Lightning protection (Will Priestley - Priestley Lightning
Protection (there's a great trade name for ya)) uses "Zone Defender's" by
Atlantic Scientific and lots of #2 braided copper ground wire and as many
driven ground rods as needed.

David