Outback dealer protection? [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Sun Jul 9 19:21:29 PDT 2006

Hi Bob,

That's just sad. OutBack would be wise to look at how they treat their
dealers like you who are really OB's representative's to the end customer.
When manufacturers become successful they can fall into the trap of thinking
that it will always remain that way. When they lose their focus and mistreat
professional installing dealers it becomes easier for a competitor to come
in and take market share from them. Why should we have loyalty to them when
they pull stunts like that on you. Remember what happened to Trace/Xantrex.
Xantrex's actions, or inactions, made it possible for OutBack to start their
company and grow rapidly.

Unfortunately I also had a recent interaction with Out Back that reminded me
of dealing with Xantrex in the late pre-OB days.

Service is a vital component in what we as dealer/installers provide to the
consumer. And service is also equally important for OutBack to provide for
professionals in the field. OutBack is making a mistake if they value the
wholesale direct
seller over the company making the service call. I'm sure all of their sales
outlets are valuable, but those of us actually dealing with professional
design, installation and service of their products AND dealing face to face
with the end buyer/user are critically important to OB. We invariably share
our opinions with the customer. The opinions that we have formed of Out Back
Power Systems, not only, from our trust in how their products will do the
job but also in how well the company treats us with regard to the service
and business respect that we, as professionals, deserve.

I think that you deserve a written apology for their actions and
compensation for the profit on the boards that they deprived you of. They
also need to train their tech/sales people on conducting their dealings with
proper business ethics.

David Palumbo
NABCEP Certified
19 years in business as Independent Power & Light