ground water cooling [RE-wrenches]

Conrad Geyser conradg at cape.com
Sun Jun 18 06:08:06 PDT 2006

Here’s your chance to tell some of the most important names in
retailing and household products what’s on your mind. You could win
a free iPod Nano by signing up for our new consumer opinion panel
and filling out a brief survey.
http://click.topica.com/caaeTvObz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ HomeWorldResearch

We've done the incoming water condensing unit as well, with good success.
Solar pnael cores and used refrigeration coils work well too.
No fans directly on the coils though. Wouldn't the air movement discourage
condenstaion?

Conrad
Cotuit Solar
508-428-8442

> Hi Wrenches:
>
> A simple, relatively cheap, "passive" dehumidifier/AC;
>
> Install a copper coil on the intake of your cold=20
> water supply and then install a fan to blow=20
> across it - (either powered by a direct coupled=20
> PV or a AC fan controlled by a flow activated=20
> switch).
>
>  Works especially well in public buildings with=20
> commercial kitchens (or places that use alot of=20
> irrigation water) - any where where the water=20
> runs alot.  Not very effective for residential=20
> water conserving households, but if you have a=20
> spare PV panel lying around it's a relatively=20
> cheap free source of coolth/dehumidification.
>
> And it works especially well if you have a deep well with nice cold water.
>
> We installed one on a conference center with a=20
> commercial kitchen.  They called me in to solve=20
> the sweating pipes syndrome since they used alot=20
> of water and their pipes  dripping with=20
> condensate were causing a real problem in the=20
> basement - so i got to thinking why not make that=20
> source of coolth concentrated.  So Installed=20
> about 25' of 3/4 coiled copper right after the=20
> pressure tank and coupled it to a 50 watt PV=20
> panel and fan.  Pulls about 3-5 gallons of water=20
> out of a humid New England summer day.  And It=20
> warms the water slightly so the sweating is not=20
> such a problem down the line.    Not bad for free=20
> coolth.
>
> Jeff C.
> Village Power Design
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer=81
>

>>Hi Todd,
>>
>>The issue that Christopher brings up is a very=20
>>real problem and is what caused most of those=20
>>systems to fail.
>>
>>I've been told that around 50% humidity is the=20
>>upper limit for a swamp cooler to work.
>>
>>Just as an aside, Sante Fe NM, has outlawed=20
>>swamp coolers due to water usage.  So they are=20
>>now using AC in very low humidity which isn't=20
>>good
>>for AC units.
>>
>>Jay
>>
>>Peltz Power
>>
>>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Here=EDs your chance to tell some of the most=20
>>important names inretailing and household=20
>>products what=EDs on your mind. You could wina=20
>>free iPod Nano by signing up for our new=20
>>consumer opinion paneland filling out a brief=20
>>survey.
>>http://click.topica.com/caaeTvObz8Qcsa9hBZif/ HomeWorldResearch
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>- - - -
>>To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>>
>>Archive of previous messages:
>>http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/rea=
>>
>>List rules & how to change your email address:=20
>>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

> [...]

FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child’s reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
http://click.topica.com/caaeTvWbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Zoobooks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com