cooling technologies [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Jun 16 19:06:22 PDT 2006

FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child’s reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
http://click.topica.com/caaeTvWbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Zoobooks

HI Geoff;

I did a system in Oklahoma that had an LP powered 3 ton Air conditioner.
As I recall, the blowers and pumps still took almost 2000 watts, so it
wasn't a complete solution. Then to make matters worse they had a huge
bank of glass facing west. I did some heat calculations and it looked
like you'd need the whole 3 tons just to hold the temp steady against
the solar gain. They were complaining the system couldn't cool the house
down in a few hours on a 100 degree day.
I think combinations of all of you all's cooling ideas will be the ticket:
- limit solar gain
- live with higher temps and humidities
- use fans & dehumidifiers
- use swamp coolers if the humidty will allow
- take advantage of night time cooling, and thermal mass
- use ground source heat pumps
- use high efficiency dual compressor AC units.

I guess I get to enjoy Taos right now; we hit low 90s and 40% humidity
in day, but its going into the high 40s at night. Just crack a window
and let the adobe do the rest.....(but I feel for you, I used to live in
Austin, Tx with no AC)

Ray

http://click.topica.com/caaeTvYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Zoobooks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com