3-phase generator [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Jun 13 10:38:17 PDT 2006

Many three phase generators can be configured for single or three phase
output by reconnecting the windings of the generator.  I doubt that this
would be something covered in the manual though.  You might check around
for a motor rewinder guy (the older the better from my experience) and
see what he says. You probably will need to put in a bigger single pole
breaker (on some they just parallel the three poles together which is
marginal).

There is no three phase to single phase balancing transformer solution
that I am aware of.

If he is going to run large a large 3 phase load (such as a pump) along
with the single inverter on one phase - then its OK.

If the only load is the inverter - be careful to limit the draw to about
1/3 of the generator's rating or you can overload a winding (which there
is no temperature sensing to protect).

Christopher

Nicholas Ponzio wrote:

> We've got a possible off-grid client that already owns a 3-phase
> generator
> (5kVA Onan). He only needs a single inverter. Any clean way to do this?
> 3-to-1 balancing x-former? If not, how bad is it for the generator to
> only
> use a single leg?
>
> Thanks for any input.
> -Nik