[RE-wrenches]

Jim Duncan ntrei at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 10:00:44 PDT 2006

I recently found the near-perfect roof. True south at 30 deg pitch and
no shadows for a block in every direction. The angle of the ridges makes
a perfect fit for 7100 Watts of Sharp 142s and the 72W triangle modules.
I confirmed the fit, to scale, with an Autocad solid model so I'm
positive that the space needed is there.
The only problem is an open 2-inch dia drain vent stack that will be
about a foot inside the edge of the array. My first thought is that,
since it is only an air vent, there is no harm in cutting it short
enough to just clear the underside of the module. An inch clearance
seems adequate. There should never be any liquid ejected 12 feet up and
only a gentle rush of air down the pipe to break the vacuum.
I know this problem must have been addressed in the field many times, so
what is the consensus on cutting the stack down to about 4-5 inches
tall? I found no postings addressing this specific topic, which kind of
surprised me. Must not be a big problem then. Yes?
Thanks
Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
Fort Worth, Texas