UV Resistant Insulation for Hot Water Pipes [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Sat May 6 18:51:34 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Two thoughts regarding pipe insulation--

1- rubber insulation like Aerotube needs to be used on solar lines that
might see over 212, since poly insulation will melt. Compress it several
inches per 6', as it will shrink with time and temp.

2-- Despite what the HVAC industry does, at least in VA, coating with duct
mastic, fibered,will provide a very durable coating. It can be tinted with
acrylic latex house paint for color, and that will thin it to facilitate
brush application. Apply liberally.   Pre-coating -if you're  that
organized- will make things neater on the roof. Then you'll just need a
little touch up.
Paint alone hasn't lasted that well in my experience-------

Just curious- Why are you using 7/8 OD pipe? Anti-freeze in S.CA ? Here in
central VA possible temps of -10 to 105 , I've used drainback since 1979
very successfully. Tested performance of 700-800 BTU's per sq ft of
collector [ single glazed, selective surface ]per day, annual average. Draw
profile is a major influence on performance.
Typical residential flow rates, tap water for fluid, is 1-2 gpm thru 1/2 "
Kitec pipe, with copper for several feet on the inlet and about 6' on the
outlet. I also find 1/2" wall insulation quite adequate for most
applications and a lot easier to buy, store on the truck, and use on the
job.

Ken Schaal
CommonWealth Solar, LLC
804-798-5371