more MX60 / generator charging [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 16:10:55 PDT 2006

HI Kirk
I have done two such and it looks like I might do a
third. In both my cases the generators are small, 1.8
to 2.2 kW, the third one I might do is also small,
less than 3 kW for sure, perhaps a 2 kW. ( the owner
has not purchased as yet) In my case it is just for
emergency recharge of the battery set.  One battery
set is 48 volt 1200 AH and the second is 48 volt 400
AH.  The third one will be a 48 volt string of L16s
(about 400 AH).

I have used the Outback X240 and put the 120 volt
generator into the 240 volt side and taken 60 volts
out of the 120 volt side.  So I did not use a
isolation transformer.  (Chris used an isolation
transformer)

I have had no problems with either setup.  I set the
max MX 60 charge rate to limit the generator current
to values the generator can handle.  The 2.2 kW is set
up with a 1.2 kW PV array in parallel with the
generator-transformer-rectifier circuit.  I placed a
rectifier in series with the PV array also, but I am
not sure that I needed to.  I had to set the MX limit
for the generator to about 1.8-1.6 kW (I do not
remember the exact amount).  The generator seemed as
if it could not handle full rating.  Also the MX 60 at
times seemed to squel slightly ( a high pitch maybe
3000 hz).  Both systems have functioned as expected.
If perchance the generator and the PV were to operate
at the same time the load on the generator would be
reduced.
Darryl