more MX60 / generator charging [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Wed Apr 19 12:10:31 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeE3vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Chris F.,

You mentioned that the MX60 could be used for both PV and generator
charging. I'm wondering if the output of the rectifier can be paralleled
with the PV inputs without causing harm - due to overloading the MX60 or
just in general - or if some switching is necessary to isolate the array
when the generator is charging through the transformer/rectifier/mx60.

And I assume generator charging through the MX60 voids its warranty,
right?

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
fax 802.863-7908
NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar PV Installer
Xantrex Certified Dealer Charter Member
NYSERDA-eligible installer
VT Solar and Wind Partner

"We have also played around with the MX60 and a isolation transformer
with rectifier - and it does work pretty well - just keep in mind that
its limited to around 800 watts at 12vdc, 1600W at 24vdc and 3200W at 48

vdc.

You can also use the same MX60 controller for the PV array if the
back-up generator is only used at night or during poor weather
conditions (which is almost always the case).

This solves a couple of problems - such as poor quality generator
waveform and the grounded-neutral of nearly all portable generators.

Using the MX60 allows the charging process to be coordinated with the
rest of the system - such as EQ and temp compensation control.  You also

get the metering functions as well displayed on the MATE.

You will not find a charger which offers three stage charging and
metering for anywhere near the price of a MX60 and a isolation
transformer."

See the hottest games before your friends! Sign up with Ubisoft,
and you'll get access to exclusive game news, contests, promotions,
community forums, and more. It's easy, free, and secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaeInYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Ubisoft

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com