[Spam] Re: proper inverter [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Tue Mar 21 08:03:14 PST 2006

You could save Hundreds on your Car insurance
We track down the best Car Insurance rates for you
Click here if you are in the market for Car insurance
http://click.topica.com/caaeA2wbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Firstand10.com

Darryl:

My take on this:  1. You have to determine the make and model of the
modules and 2. You need to trust the manufacturer's sizing tools.  You can
always run the calculations yourself to double check the string sizing
information.  The Fronius configurator shows 2 strings of 16 KC120 modules
as good down to -4 F.  You can verify this your self.

If it were me, I'd approach this as a T&M repair and if it takes a ladder
or boom lift rental to safely asses the situation, that's what it takes, at
the owners expense. This sounds like a killer roof and safety is your
number one concern, not the owner's pocket book.  It may require on-roof
scaffolding and certainly fall protection to perform the work once a design
is established.  Please, don't take any risks to save a few dollars.

The Outback PSSB is useful only if all of the leads are accessible.  It
sounded like the module leads all run down stairs through the "big conduit"
but that is not entirely clear.

William Miller

At 09:46 PM 3/20/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks Bill and William
>The owner does not know the module brand, nor does any
>of the paper work he has state.  The roof is high and
>all I could reach was the bottom row. I could not see
>any labels.  With out a better look I would be
>guessing, (I think Kyocera).   I will rent either a 48
>or 52' extension ladder and hope when I do the job.  I
>think my best bet is to wire them into two sub arrays
>of 325 Volts OC.  When it gets cold in MN this is up
>north, I might see 400 Voc.  When it gets hot, ambient
>+ 20C or 20% loss in voltage so Vmp will be about 250
>volts in the summer.
>
>Bill mentiioned the Outback Combiner box, with just
>two arrays could I not use a 600 volt fused
>disconnect? then How would I find 10 or 12 amp fuses
>in standard form? ( guess I will stick with the
>Outback)
>
>I do not know how the collectors got up there, but
>there is almost no room underneath.
>
>For an inverter I am thinking the Fronius 4000.
>Anyone have experiance with this inverter?  I have a
>3840 nameplate watts (I think) array at STC, but my
>125% brightness and my 125% cold weather would I be
>pushing it?  (My amps seem to be in range) (BTW I do
>not feel confortable using manufacture's charts.
>Based on one experiance where the chart seems to be
>wrong.)
>
>Thanks Darryl
> > Darryl:

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaexd6bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com