California PV Installers - General Liability Insurance [RE-wrenches]

solarpro at aol.com solarpro at aol.com
Mon Feb 27 06:53:58 PST 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaerelbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

In a message dated 2/25/2006 5:07:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
joeldavidson at earthlink.net writes:
What is preventing CalSEIA from soliciting insurance brokers for a group deal?

Joel:

I admit that I phrased my statement in such a way as to lead one to believe
that CalSeia is reluctant to solicit brokers, which is not the case; it is
simply a matter of prioritization. Each member of the board is a volunteer with
other obligations and we have limited resources ($$$) to pursue all of our
goals. Our collective attention has been captured and at times consumed by issues
at the legislative and regulatory level. So, It's a little like telling a man
whose pants are on fire that his shoe laces are untied when insurance costs and
remedies are discussed.

We may eventually, I hope, evolve into more of a trade association, something
that can offer its members some of the traditional benefits associated with
such organizations.  I have considered that insurance is an area we should be
trying to concentrate our efforts sooner, rather than later.  I often think
that GL, its availability and cost, is our industry's Achilles' heel.  If
carriers panic, we could, as a group, lose coverage, which would literally ruin our
businesses.

Dan Whigham mentions a class code ... 99080.. for solar energy contractor
(thankyou).  Is this an older classification?  Is its designation or description
mostly for plumbers?  How could I get more data on this?  I have so far been
talking to broker after broker whose only true interest (no matter how
avuncular) was to get me into a new policy.

Mr. O claims that the standards of insurance in Oregon are much higher than
for us poor souls in California.  Second time in my life I've heard a reason
for not pursuing my dream of settling in southern coastal Oregon and hanging my
shingle.

Patrick Redgate
AMECO
In So Cal Since 1974
888.595.9570

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaerMmbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com