smoke alarms & Flukes [RE-wrenches]

Jason Lerner wapalco at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 21:38:19 PST 2006

<x-flowed>
Hello Nick,
  We have divided the smoke alarm issue into two categories, NEC, and
Our local building inspector.  We wire in the smoke alarms like a
"normal" house,  and the wiring satisfies the electrical inspector,
we then have the home owner buy a bunch of battery operated smoke
alarms (and extra 9 volt batteries) and put them everywhere the hard
wired ones would have gone.  It is the county that requires the smoke
alarms not the NEC.  When we first had a problem with this,  I got
the electrical inspector and the building inspector in a house at the
same time and turned off the DR.,  and mentioned that the inverter is
off every night,  therefore the house was not protected by the smoke
alarms.  I let that sink in then turned the inverter back on and all
five smoke alarms started beeping real loud.  We haven't had a
problem since, and that was ten years ago.
Good luck,

Jason Lerner
Waldron Power and Light Co.
(360) 317-4980