calculation [RE-wrenches]

Mark Byington sales at cobaltpower.com
Fri Jan 20 09:09:11 PST 2006

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaemrqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Dealix

"I've never done this before and I'd like to know more about the procedure... In the case of a meter/main/combo, the only conductor between the meter and the main are buss bars.  Is it acceptable to drill and tap these buss bars for lugs, or does this violate the devices listing?

William,
To clarify... we connect after the main disconnect, using a back-fed breaker and folowing the 120% rule, whenever possible.  But sometimes you just have to connect ahead of the main breaker.  In that case, you can use a Polaris connector, or a split bolt if you really wrap it well with electrical tape and 3M tape, or a technique we use often is to find an existing 10-32 or 1/4-20 stud on the buss bar which feeds the main breaker, and use a standard wiring lug to attach your #8, #6, etc wires which go to your fused disconnect.  Obviously make sure everything is tight and properly torqued down and there is no possibility of the lug or connector shorting to the case.  We do not connect at the bottom of the meter because the utility guys get upset at this.  Finally, we have never drilled and tapped the buss bar, but that seems to be a reasonable last-ditch option as long as the precautions above are followed.  Put anti-oxidant paste over the junction of the aluminum lug and the copper buss bar.  And be careful if you are working on it hot!

Mark
Cobalt Power Systems, Inc.

Jumpstart your love life at AmericanSinglesR.com.
Meet someone in your area today. Millions of member profiles.
Create a profile, post photos and search for free.
http://click.topica.com/caaemrrbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Spark Network

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com