roof details [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Wed Jan 18 12:02:16 PST 2006

Jumpstart your love life at AmericanSinglesR.com.
Meet someone in your area today. Millions of member profiles.
Create a profile, post photos and search for free.
http://click.topica.com/caaemrrbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Spark Network

Geoff:

Caulk:  Our roof caulk of choice is Rain Buster 14000.  I understand
Geocell is damaging to asphalt shingles-- read the fine print.  I haven't
tried Sikaflex, I have been meaning to.  (I prefer a clear or light colored
caulk, it is not as obvious on the client's carpet).

Call backs:  Second one in all my years last Saturday.  In bed with the
flu, crawled out got dressed, drove to the job.  One of my installers had
drilled some pilot holes to locate a rafter and had forgotten to caulk
them.  Alos, I had caulked an EMT penetration and had skimped a tiny bit
and had not entirely covered the rain-tight fitting back nut. Fortunately
the leaks were just tiny drips and were only noticed because the client is
a facilities manager and had crawled in his attic to
inspect!  (Ironic:  the installer works for me part time when he is not
flying commercial airlines.  You think he'd be aware of un-caulked pilot
holes.)  the only other call back for a leak was caused by a loose
raintight fitting on the EMT.

Lags:  We use stainless if requested or if in a maritime climate.

Flahing:  When we use a post we flash.  If the roofing is tile, we double
flash.  If we can get in before the roof paper is installed, we recommend
that the roofer interleave the paper with the lower flashing.  If not, we
have them caulk the lower flashing onto the paper and then interleave the
top flashing with the tile.  We use Oatey solar flashings almost
exclusively.  We offer a flashed post installation as an upgrade on Comp roofs.

Post
(http://www.directpower.com/products/racks/powerrails/pr_mount_options.pdf)
It offers two lag holes, making it a much stiffer support than the others
we have tried.

Hope the above input helps.

William Miller

At 11:06 AM 1/18/2006, you wrote:

>How many of you wrenches use Sika-flex?  Geocell?  Tremco polyroof?  Other?
>sources for quantity purchase?
>
>We have never had any leak callbacks - stories?
>
>How many use stainless lags VS galvanized?
>
>How many always use flashing?  Anyone used the "flatjack" roof mount from
>Thompson Technology Industies?
>

>For a brighter energy future,
>
>Geoff Greenfield

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaemrqbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com