Source of Battery Bus Bars [RE-wrenches]

Bob Clark bclark at solar-wind.us
Wed Nov 8 23:03:05 PST 2006

Wrenches:

Everywhere I turn, it is stated that, rather than connecting parallel strings of batteries (when you are forced to use more than one string) in a daisy-chain fashion, these parallel strings should be connected to a bus bar so that equal lengths of charging (and discharging) circuits are created.  Also, this allows for just one cable to run from the battery bank to the battery disconnect switch (and the other to the negative bus.  A good idea.

Problem:  Heretofore, I have been unable to locate a source of manufactured bus bars that are heavy duty for such battery applications.  Are there any commercial sources of "approved" battery bus bars?  Where do I find such battery bars?  Especially ones that an electrical inspector will approve.  Must one have a local metal fabricator make these and hope the inspector does not freak at their use?  It this is the case, what are the general specifications for such fabricated bus bars?  I can probably figure out these specs, but if someone has any they have worked-up, I would be grateful to see them.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bob Clark
SolarWind Energy Systems, LLC
bclark at solar-wind.us<mailto:bclark at solar-wind.us>