Battery Fuel Gauge [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 1 17:00:45 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

Wrenches,

The Sept/Oct 2006 issue of Battery Power Products & Technology had an
article (not online but see http://www.batterypoweronline.com/bppt_back.htm)
"Battery Fuel Gauges: Accuracy is the Game" by Wagner at www.maxim-ic.com
that was written primarily for the booming lithium-ion battery market, but
had some interesting comments applicable to PV/battery systems. "To
determine the available charge in a battery, simple monitoring methods are
preferred. They should consume little energy, and should (ideally) allow one
to deduce the charge level from battery voltage. Such a voltage-only method
can produce unreliable outcomes, however, because no unique correlation
exists between the voltage and the available charge. Battery voltage also
depends on temperature, and dynamic relaxation effects can cause a slow
increase in the terminal voltage after a reduction in load current. Thus,
pure voltage-based monitoring is unlikely to provide charge level accuracies
better than 25%."

The author goes on to write, "The relative charge level, often called state
of charge (SOC), is defined as the ratio of residual charge to the battery's
charge capacity. Hence charge flow must be measure and monitored - a
procedure called 'coulomb counting.' In practice, coulomb counting is
accomplished by integrating the currents flowing into and out of the cell.
To measure these currents with a high-resolution ADC, a small resistor is
typically connected in series with the anode."

Then the author lists 3 ICs: DS2761 coulomb counter; DS2780 fuel gauge;
MAX1781 programmable fuel gauge (obviously a pitch for Maxim's ICs).

So where's this going? Last Sunday afternoon, I experienced a Southern
California Edison (SCE) power outage followed by 3 evenings and counting of
grid power brownouts (101 VAC). My SW4048 line-tie inverter saw the low grid
voltage and went to stand-alone mode, but my four old Johnson Controls
GC12V100B batteries did not last long and the inverter did its low-voltage
shutdown. So I flipped the inverter bypass switch and put up with low grid
voltage (thank you SCE for shortening the life of my home equipment).
Trouble-shooting and flipping switches by flashlight and re-programming the
inverter the day may be interesting for techno-guys, but the average on- or
off-grid PV system owner (our customers) would be frustrated and angry if
their battery bank ran out of juice leaving them in the dark.

Finally, the question: What "battery fuel gauge" do you think is the most
non-technical customer-friendly (easy to use, intuitive, reliable, etc.)?

Joel Davidson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php