legal to do PV work [RE-wrenches]

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sat Oct 21 10:17:59 PDT 2006

In order to legally install PV systems in Hawai'i, one has to possess a C-13
license, i.e., be a licensed electrical contractor.  (There's no substantive
PV-only license in the our Aloha State.)  One also has to be a licensed
electrician (either Journeyworker or Supervising), passing a separate exam
administered by the separate Electricians and Plumbers Board.  Due to most
likely the influence of our IBEW friends, there has to be a 1:1 ratio on any
electrical job site, including a PV installation, of one licensed
electrician per apprentice.

How does this jive with the regulatory policies in states on the Mainland?
It seems like in CA., anyone with a C-46 or C-10 can throw a bunch of people
at PV job site with not a journeyworker or supervising electrician in site.
Is this true?

Thanks,
marco

Marco Mangelsdorf, Ph.D., President