GTFX 3048 [RE-wrenches]

Keith Cronin kcronin at islandenergy.net
Mon Aug 14 19:29:56 PDT 2006

Hello

I am trying to understand something. In the GTFX manual, it states, we need
to wire it with 2/0 from the inverter to the big bus (about 3' of cable),
but the highest DC current on the 3048 is 70 amps. I recognize the max DC
input is 150 amps, but we will not hit that with this setup. Is this why the
2/0 is spec'd?

A # 1 Thhn is good for 130 amps, per the NEC- 310-16, and I know that
battery cable/marine types have more conductors, per circ. mil, so, can
someone educate me?

We have 4- 3048's, 4-100 amp dc breakers, 3 MX60's, 12-8D batteries on a
10.5kW system.

So, are we safeguarding against high short term current surges?

We did initially experience the 100 amp breakers trip, but I think that was
because we had both sets of inverters on the same sell voltage and amperage.
We adjusted the sell amps for each set differently as well as sell on grid
battery voltage. This has resolved this situation to our satisfaction and I
think was the contributor to the cascading effect of all of the inverters
trying to sell their maximum ability and when they failed (tripped) the next
inverter was instructed to do the same, per se.

Keith Cronin

President

Island Energy Solutions Inc

270 Kuulei Rd. Suite 106