LADWP [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 30 16:45:29 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

They're doing it again.

LADWP is supposedly on track to reauthorize a solar rebate program.
They've put together a "design based incentive". If I've managed to
understand this correctly, the incentive is supposed to be $0.14 per kWh
times the predicted system output over 20 years, from a customized
version of PVWatts (a DOE solar output estimation tool I never use):
http://mapserve2.nrel.gov/website/LA_PVWatts/viewer.htm

I clicked the link and got a spiffy, colored "smart" map with many
selectible layers (bar on right side). The link to PVwatts layer (V2)
doesn't seem to cause anything useful to pop up. Hmmmmm. Otherwise, I
don't see any functionality with this program. Weird.

Leaving asside my comments about how this program seems to be an arcane
divergence from an effective solar incentive, bound to serious confusion
and mistakes among installers and customers and very difficult to
administer, applications will loaded with "errors" and the queue will
inevitably log-jam in short order due to"insufficent staffing"...

At this point, after 3.5 years of no solar program, we have dozens of
LADWP customers who want solar and are ready to sign a contract. Several
already have, a few even have completed (unrebated) systems. But the
mostly people are expecting some sort of reasonable rebate, like what
customers of all other major utilities in the state have enjoyed for
years. Can anyone help figure out what the deal is?

William Korthof
Energy Efficiency Solar

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com