cooling technologies [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu Jun 15 08:26:53 PDT 2006

FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child’s reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
http://click.topica.com/caaeTvWbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Zoobooks

All this talk of AC has me dreading our impending stretch of nasty 90 plus
OH valley humidity!  It is during this period that our righteous "we don't
need no stinkin AC" attitude melts away.  Our passive solar home's fantastic
thermal mass turns into a liability as the night-time cooling/daytime
buttoning up approach occasionally yields sweating slab syndrome
(and -yikes- mold... or at least a dank smell).

What we really want is comfort - and most of the year that is achievable
with fans (and we have a bunch - my new favorite is the tubular tower
oscillating fan with REMOTE CONTROL and the countdown turn off timer!).
 So - in our well insulated, overhang sized home we don't care about temp.
we care about humidity.

Am I right to conclude that a dehumidifier is just an air conditioner that
dumps heat inside the house?  With no ductwork or chance of it in a timber
frame on slab, I am dreaming of either a window unit hogged through a wall
(sub-optimal) or a split/ductless AC unit.  I would have to wire it on a bat
voltage controlled relay (and upsize my system!).  Would a humidistat be
better than a T-stat?  I have heard that under sizing is best for
dehumidification - makes sense.

Are there other alternatives?  Any desiccant cycle products out there "off
the shelf" yet?  Anyone look into the Yazaki heat driven (solar) chillers?
This could be a really good excuse to do a solar thermal heat system!  I
guess nat gas commercial AC units are out there - anyone use an LP fired one
(I think an HP article looked at a Servel?) Can I just put a blower and a
W-coil together and circulate the 57 degree water from my cistern?

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.