Thermal blow-off [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Wed May 24 09:24:58 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Hey gang-

Worried customer called last night with 1/2 gallon of HE fluid on his
basement floor.

He has 6 4x8 collectors and a 610 gallon tank with 180 lf of HE immersed
coil (too small).  With no radiant heat his tank temp is up to 180 degrees
in the middle and he blew the PT valve.  Yes - I said PT valve even though I
specced a 150 PSI pressure relief only valve.  I also specced 2 large
expansion tanks and the plumber talked him into 1 4.4 gallon one.  The PT
was 150/210, so I am hoping that replacing it with P only will work... but
that 180 degree tank has me thinking of next steps - larger expansion tank?
dump load? night time pumping to dump heat? covering modules is not
practical (?) on the roof (well - maybe the best solution).

please reassure me (or scold me).  I wish I could go back in time and read
Tom's book before I did this system....

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street
Athens, OH 45701

www.third-sun.com
(740) 597-3111

See the hottest games before your friends! Sign up with Ubisoft,
and you'll get access to exclusive game news, contests, promotions,
community forums, and more. It's easy, free, and secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaePuxbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Ubisoft

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com