The awful truth [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Feb 9 19:55:38 PST 2006

Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6Fbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Hi gang,
One of my solar pump customers has been having a bugger of a time with a
Grundfos SQF (11) I sold him a while back to replace one of the Solastar
pumps I sold him back in 99 or so. Actually he had a pretty bad time
with it as well but at least he got a few years of reliable service out
of it.

Actually I should rephrase that first statement since this is the SECOND
SQF we've had in his well, the first just cr****ed-out after just a few
months in the hole of very spotty service. Grundfos, it turns out, has a
very odd return policy in that you have to return the bad pump to the
factory for them to test (we guys are too dull witted to determine if
there really is something amiss) before they allow credit for a
replacement on the pump that was sent to replace the bad one. Otherwise,
they charge for the second pump with no returns allowed. Obviously, this
policy can cause some grumbling (to say the least) and loss of
confidence in the manufacturer, especially if the owner has been without
a pump for a while!

Anyhow, this newest SQF is behaving pretty much like the first one did;
low output, surging (even under AC power) and occasional failure to
start. Sometimes it works just fine though so I'm certain that there's
nothing wrong with the array. But that brings up another observation:
This is a 4 module series connected system using 4 Solarex 120's (12
volt) with a rating (in a perfect world) of 480 Watts at up to 79 V, but
here's the rub: the stated rating Max power @45 deg C is only 85 Watts
and, since it appears that whenever full sun is on the modules, possibly
assisted by the nice dark blue backing, the cell temp almost immediately
shoots up to just about that exact temp, which means that his 480 Watt
array is actually lucky to put out 336 Watts (the highest I've seen it
produce).

On the other hand I have to say that I've sold and installed a lot of
other SQ's, none of which have given a bit of trouble, The factory is
dragging it's feet on this second bad pump, attempting to place the
blame on low water (50' submerged), bad power supply (runs weirdly on
120 AC as well), or any other customer-caused problem they can think of.
I don't think so. I have heard stories about at least two other series
11's failing up in Canada, but I would like to know if any of you have
had similar experiences. ?

Waiting on the edge of my seat,

Matt T

First Month Free! Save up to 50% on your phone bill.
Free Activation, Free Equipment! Packet8
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6nbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com