3 Sharp 200W in series to MX60 [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Tue Feb 7 09:16:50 PST 2006

Packet8 Digital Phones Service can save you up to
$999 annually on your phone bill! First Month Free!
Free Activation! Save $110 instantly. Wow. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6lbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Presently designing an off grid system using Sharp 200W modules for the
first time.
Array looks like it will be, about, 2k or more in size (9 for 1.8kw, or 12
for 2.4kw).
Sharp 200's 35.5 Voc, 28.5 Peak Power Voltage, 7.82 Isc, 7.02 Peak power
current.

Looking at 3 Sharp 200's in series for 106.5 VOC, 85.5v peak power going
thru OutBack MX 60 to a 48v battery bank.

With a -40F (=-40C) at sunrise lowest temp corrects peak voltage to 137.55
volts OCV
25C less -40C = 65 x .45v per degree C = 29.25v + 106.5v = 135.75 Voc Temp
Corrected.

What do you think? The OutBack MX60 Manual now states that PV open circuit v
maxes out at 150v. Operation is suspended at 135vdc. Obviously the daytime
temps do not stay at -40C so the time spent in suspended operation will be
very minimal.
Am I figuring things correctly? Forgetting any important aspects?

I'd like to use the 48v bat bank with one MX60 and 3 modules in series. With
two Sharp 200's in series the peak power voltage is too low (28.5v x 2 =
57v) to charge a 48 volt battery bank. Using a 24v battery would mean
needing two MX 60's two OB combiner boxes two runs of wire etc. So we'd like
to go with 48v if we can safely get the 3 Sharp 200's in series into the
MX60.

Dave Palumbo
Independent Power
Hyde Park, VT