Inverter/Battery Question (Round 3 well pumping & storage tanks) [RE-wrenche

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Mon Jan 23 08:52:27 PST 2006

Jumpstart your love life at AmericanSinglesR.com.
Meet someone in your area today. Millions of member profiles.
Create a profile, post photos and search for free.
http://click.topica.com/caaemrrbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Spark Network

Darryl,

Your inspector is right, and that is the official attitude. Well
water often does contain soil bacteria that can grow in the tank. The
tank must be open (however slightly) to atmosphere in order to fill
and empty without bursting and collapsing, so it also draws in
airborne particles that can include bacteria and other organic matter.

Government regulations for potable storage tanks require sanitizing.
Most commonly, chlorine is applied through an automatic system so a
small amount is maintained continuously.

Based on long-traditional use of storage tanks, it is my impression
that significant pathogenic bacteria problems are very rare. But,
even benign bacteria can be a nuisance. In extreme cases it can cause
a thick jelly-like slime or a black septic condition, especially in a
system that sits unused for long periods.

I haven't personally heard of these problems forming in a well water
tank but I know Ray W has had some bad experiences -- Ray?

A good minimum preventive measure is to drop a small amount of bleach
into the tank periodically, at least during warm weather or before a
period of low usage.

I've had two solar pump / storage tank systems at two homes now,
totaling almost 10 years of use. I have a high count of soil bacteria
in my current well, but I've had no problem in my tank. The tanks in
both cases are buried polyethylene. They stay cool in summer, and
they have smooth surfaces. The tops have a gasket seal that's fairly
tight, and I installed a vent pipe to rise out, capped with an
improvised air filter to keep out dust and bugs.

If a tank has large voids around its lid, especially near ground
level, then bugs and debris will enter. This gives bacterial
something to eat and multiply from. My understanding is that
pathogenic bacteria (unlike common soil bacteria) need a "warm body"
environment so they are very unlikely to be a problem except in the
tropics -- but that's theory and general experience, not government
policy.

In cases where a storage tank is required for fire prevention, the
question is -- should it be a normal part of the water supply, or
only an emergency holding tank. There are advantages to using it as a
normal part of the supply. In case of fire, the water can be released
through the normal plumbing with less likely necessity to start an
emergency pump, turn valves, etc. We're getting out of my field here,
so I'll appreciate more feedback.

FYI -- Terminology:  Storage tank = holding tank.  Cistern generally
refers to rain catchment tanks

Windy

> Subject: Re: Inverter/Battery Question (Round 2 well pumping) [RE-
> wrenches]
>
> HI windy and others
> In Minnesota I was not allowed to use a cistern "tank"
> in excess of the pressure tank.  The inspector argued
> the well water has "bacteria" which can grow as the
> water warms, and long storage tank time constant
> allows them to become a concern.  Any comment?
> Darryl

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaemrqbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com