Generator sizing [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Tue Dec 13 09:52:39 PST 2005

Make phone calls with phone service from Packet8.Order VoIP
today & get Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month
Free! Packet8 30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

HI;
On larger systems (over 10 KW ) Its good to also look at the fuel
consumption at different loads. For instance compare a 10 Kw unit at
full load vs a 20 Kw unit at 1/2 load. This data isn't readily available
for all generators, but reputable Manus like Kohler have it availalble.
Another factor to consider with conventional portable generators is
power quality under load. I just sold a Yamaha EF6600 watt generator
(definitely good quality) that under full load had a harmonic spike in
the waveform that was hitting 415 VAC peak. ( peak on a clean 240 VAC
rms should be about 340) When I looked at it with a Silly scope , you
could see the spike on the leading edge of each wave. I've seen this
with most gennys under load. Only Inverter-generators, and highly
regulated units like Kohler have a clean wave under load.
The point is: you have to be familiar with the genny's waveform to
properly size it, and you have to know what your charger will do with a
variable wave form. Last week I measured an old IBE charger that when
VAC dropped from 120 to 115, the DC output went to half current. More
puzzling, the waveform of the genny was looking good still (165 V peak).
We are about to try a Northern Star generator (10.5 KW propane) with a
Honda motor. It claims < 5% THD on the waveform; we'll see!
Its still tough IMHO to nail down genny sizing with a simple equation
only. Just when you think you have a combo that works (ie; Kohler genny
into a SW) the manus change the product line and you have to start all
over from scratch. At least the better inverters (Outback) allow you to
program the amps AC in, and have generator assist so you can avoid
disaster by not overloading a mis sized generator.

R. Walters
SolarRay

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PC PowerScan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com