controller settings for diversion load and generators... [RE-wrenches]

David Katz david at aeesolar.com
Sun Dec 11 11:13:46 PST 2005

Make phone calls with phone service from Packet8.Order VoIP
today & get Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month
Free! Packet8 30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Hugh,
I have been using an Enermax charge control for may years to divert
excess power to water heating.  It operates like the C40 or Tristar in
diversion mode and I have run into the same problems.
You can put a normally closed 60 amp contactor in series with the
diversion load, with the coil powered by AC from the generator so that
the diversion load is inoperative when the generator is running,
assuming that the generator is only running when you are bulk charging.
It usually doesn't make sense to float charge from a generator. Be very
careful to follow the manufacturers instructions about voltage with gel
or AGM batteries and definitely use temperature compensation.
For loads sensitive to high voltage, put two silicon diodes with an
appropriate current rating (on a heat sink) in series with the load and
put a normally closed contactor across the diodes that is powered by the
a voltage controlled switch from Solar Converters or the auxiliary relay
in an Outback or Xantrex SW inverter.  The new Relay Driver from
Morningstar is also an excellent choice to activate control relays.
When the relay opens, the voltage to the load will drop by 1.4 volts.
If you set it to open at 29.5, the load will see about 28 volts and go
up to 29.5 when the battery reaches 31 volts. Set the relay to close
again at around 28 volts.
Cheers,
David

David Katz