Heat pump water heaters? [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 23:17:30 PST 2005

There are several heat pump water heaters; I have had
good results with both flordia and water furnace.  At
30 kBTU/hr is a 2.5 ton a common size for a well
constructed home heating system..

Any X to liquid heat pump is a heat-pump water heater.
 In an industrial app where we needed 3000 gallons of
hot water a day at 160 F we used a Florida heat pump
(liquid to liquid, ground source) to heat the water
from about 45-60 F mains temperature to 120
intermediate water using off peak electric and then
finished to 160F with a Oil fired water heaters.  If
you are doing this use a easy flush pipe and valves to
allow flushing heating coil.  (When water is heated
the dissolved minerals are released on the hot
surface. (( particularly when using well water as a
source))

Years ago (about 40)I worked with a "steam pump" which
used water (steam) as a refrigerent, and compressed it
to increase the temperature.  I do not know if there
are any heatpumps that use other than freon as a
working fluid that could attain higher temperature.
(freon breaks down at high temperature and limits the
working temperature of heatpumps.

DT.

<http://www.wfiglobal.com/VersatecWatertoWater3-30tons.asp>

> No experience with them but we are considering for a
> project.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com