Generator Update [RE-wrenches]

Peter Duchon info at asappower.com
Fri Nov 25 21:51:17 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaedmqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Finally, some good news about this 12RES unit.   We recently installed one
for an off-grid client in SoCal mountains and I've been reading this thread,
dreading the day that I would have to tell the client about the starting
battery situation.  That would be on top of waiting for over 2 months for
action from a Kohler warranty service agent to come and repair the two
separate oil leaks that commenced contamination of this beautiful homesite
upon installation (we figured out one of the leaks at a petcock valve but
the other was somewhere else that would require some dismantling).  These
were not small leaks and the generator was serving as the local power source
for construction of the client's home, so it has remained in continuous
service, running smoothly (and quietly) without problems, despite the
frequent oil fills.

Kohler does not have a serious warranty claim service method in place.  From
what the Cal. Kohler rep says the method is as follows:  1) Customer must
have sent in the install/commissioning report to Kohler regional rep with
the serial and engine numbers at time of commencement.  (This piece of paper
was finally faxed to me, although Kohler claims it is in every boxed and
delivered genset.  It was not.  In fact, DC Power finally came up with a
blank and faxed it to me);  2) The piece of paper is then delivered to
Kohler who tell their reps to give them two weeks to input the claim into
their "system," during which time the customer must simply wait, regardless
of what the problem is; and finally, then 3) Call whoever the regional rep
tells you to call.   A mighty fine warranty policy for a backup power
generator manufacturer, wouldn't you agree?

In our case, a local electrical contractor that sells and services the
Kohler line called me out of the blue about two weeks after I complained to
the Cal. Kohler rep that it had been two weeks.  The "message" I got from
Kohler is that they don't support what they sell, don't really know how to
support what they sell, have not really even thought about how to support
what they sell should problems come up, and perhaps simply do not wish to
support what they sell, leaving that to their reps and dealers.   They are
good running quiet units, so you just better hope you get a good one off the
production line.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had trouble with Kohler
servicing claims on brand new gensets that were delivered with problems.
Travis, thanks very much for the easy resolution of the starter battery
issue.

Peter
ASAP POWER!